Why Trekking Poles?

 

I don't know about you but if I didn't have trekking poles, I would have fallen hundreds of times.

I am a KLUTZ, poles have saved me many a sprained ankle!

Poles are the only reason I made it down off a particular hike when my knees gave up, buckling anytime I stepped straight. Between the poles and slow side stepping I was able to make it back down 2500 feet of elevation. 

As my muscles get stronger my knees will have more support, but poles still help distributing the impact from your lower body to your upper body and help provide balance. They will elongate your hiking life long term and enable you to go where you didnt think you could!

I bought Cascade Mountain trekking poles from Costco for 30$! Good quality carbon fiber (think lite, they are only a combined 1lb) adjustable poles with flip lock adjustments. They are good quality, durable with cork grips. 

When I first got them, I used them incorrectly. That was still better than not using them but a few videos on youtube later and now I mostly have the hang of it. 

Tips/Baskets:

Unless you are walking on pavement, you remove the rubber tips to expose the carbon tip. I didnt do this until a few hikes in with my poles, because I am an idiot. 

I attached the mud/summer "basket". Thats all you need really unless you plan on snowshoeing, use the winter/snow "basket". 

Some people prefer no basket at all. 

Adjusting:

Line poles up where your elbow is at a 90 degree angle. Tighten screws a little, THEN flip the lock. Don't be like me and do it in the reverse and have your poles collapsing mid hike. 

When going up hill, make your poles a bit shorter. And vice versa lengthen them on the way down. 

Wrist Strap/Gripping Handle:

There is actually a "right way". After doing it the wrong way and getting blisters on my thumbs from gripping the poles so tight. I learned the way you're actually supposed to do it. And it helped tremendously! So much more comfortable and in control. Remember under and over strap. 

I leave you with a great how to video, and its a plus he is HOT and has an accent. You're welcome. 😅



Comments

Popular Posts