Hiking Shoes, Do You Need Them?

YES! 

Hiking Shoes, trail runners, boots, sandals. 

Whatever style you prefer and matches the terrain. 

The traction, ankle support, more durable sole are essential. Waterproofing in the PNW doesnt hurt either!

I myself prefer hiking shoes. Not a fan of boots. I feel like my movement is restricted and they are uncomfortable. I do have a pair in case I decide to go hiking this winter with crampons and an ice axe.

Sandals, I like the idea but think the sensory of dirt and rocks under my feet would be too much for me. I do bring flip flops with me on a hike in case I want to let my feet breathe at destination and wade in a lake etc.

My newbie advice is to try on multiple types, sizes (including wide), brands and wearing them around a store or mall for awhile to see the fit of that style and size. Wear the socks you plan on hiking with, wool is reccommended. I wear compression socks. 

I have wide feet. Therefore, prefer a brand with a wider toe box. And in a wide size. I found I love Oboz. I have the Sawtooth II Low BDry (waterproofing, they also come without) Hiking Shoes. In a wide size. 

I have laced the shoes in a unique way for more or less support in certain areas after trial and error of a few hikes. No big issues just tiny comfort improvements. If you have issues with your shoes try relacing before giving up! I have reached that sweet spot!

Check out this link from REI on lacing, I use a combo of surgeons knot and window lacing! https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/lacing-hiking-boots.html





 





Comments

Popular Posts